Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Keep on faithing on

Thought: Feed your faith, and your doubts will starve to death.

Biblical text: "But we are not of those who shrink back to destruction, but of those who have faith to the preserving of the soul." (Hebrews 10:39)

Richard E. Byrd spent winter of 1934 at Bolling Advance Weather Base in Antarctica, where the temperature ranged from -58˚ to -76˚ F. By the time he was rescued, he was suffering from frostbite and carbon monoxide poisoning.

He wrote in his book, "Alone" the following passage:
"I had hardly strength to move. I clung to the sleeping bag, which was the only source of comfort and warmth left to me and mournfully debated the little that might be done. Two facts stood clear. One was that my chances of recovering were slim. The other was that in my weakness I was incapable of taking care of myself. But you must have faith. "You must have faith in the outcome, I whispered to myself". It is like a flight into another unknown. You start and you cannot turn back. You must go on, trusting your instruments, the course you have plotted."

With faith as his only guidance system, Byrd forced himself to do the necessary things for survival very slowly and with great deliberation. At times he felt as if he was living a thousand years in any given minute. But at each day's end, he could say he was still alive. And that was enough.

Some times the only thing left to do in a situation is to press on in faith. And so press on!

No comments: