Monday, October 2, 2006

Gain Strength from your Adversities!

True faith and courage are like a kite - an opposing wind raises it higher.

Biblical text: But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31 NIV)

Norma Zimmer, the well known singer for Lawrence Welk, had a difficult childhood as a result of her parents' drinking. Singing was her escape! As a high school senior, Norma was invited to be a featured soloist at the University Christian church in Seattle. When her parents heard she was going to sing a particular song, they both insisted on attending the service. She tells about that morning, "I stole glances at the congregation, trying to find my parents ... then in horror I saw them - weaving down the aisle in a state of disheveled intoxication. They were late. Few empty seats were left... The congregation stared. I don't know how I ever got through that morning."

After she sang and took her seat, her heart pounding and her cheeks burning from embarrassment, the pastor preached: "God is our refuge and strength, a tested help in time of trouble." She says, "My own trouble seemed to bear down on me with tremendous weight... I realised how desperate life in our family was without God, and that day I recommitted my life to Him ... Jesus came into my life not only as Saviour but for daily strength and direction."

Don't let a difficult time box you in. Let it drive you to Jesus.

No comments: